Wednesday 19 January 2011

To Detox or not to Detox ?


When you turn the corner of December and enter January , somehow we ( I am ) bombarded with information on how to Detox.
 I was all energized and in between my meals thinking of doing a " Detox " for a week. Got some information together, ordered a few books, the latest called CLEAN by Dr . Junger. 
But as we already arrived at the mid month and it is freaking cold I dropped the idea and will tell You why I do no believe in the idea all together.

We stuff ourselves with too much food, sweets and drinks during the month of December so we can enjoy the pleasure of starving in January...
If we eat just a little better every day, pay attention every week , have our daily exercise , breath some fresh air, when we can, I do not think we need to go into this January routine. This month is so cold that we should allow ourselves to some warming calories and hide that kilo under a comfy sweater.Personally I will leave the fruit drinks to a warmer month, perhaps April or May. 
Just remember that Tropical fruits cool your body, they are to re freshen in a warm climate....If You step outside in a - 10° after having a glass of Orange juice. Dont' be surprised if you are sneezing later in the day.

My advise is to make warm soups this month and stay warm.
 I normally use a grain ( Whole Spelt, Oat, Millet or Barley) as the base. Let it boil with water , Shitake mushroom , Kombu, for a few hours. Add fresh vegetables, mostly in the green colour. I love the addition of a miso paste for taste at the very end (do not boil with Miso paste) and fresh grated Ginger.
If anything, stay away from alcohol and coffee for a month. That will make a difference. Drink more water.
Enjoy !
Gunn





No comments:

Post a Comment