Wednesday 20 October 2010

Recycled Reindeer


To recycle a reindeer, 
sounds crazy and awful for an  (almost 100%) vegetarian. But on the other hand these wonderful antlers would go up in flames if Annika Bergstrom did not go and rescue them in the butcher farm. I have been looking at them for a few years at the Swedish fair , where I make my purchases and thinking.....no I can't.   
They are so striking in form that who can resist ?
I admire her having the courage to go to a butcher ......i would be freaked. She is carefully selecting her pieces and creates objects as this candle holder.  She is also making very large hanging light fixtures.  Her company is called Lapland wild design.

Due to harsh climate up north, very north where the Sami population, the largest indigenous ethnic  groups in Europe, reindeer husbandry is an important aspect of Sami culture. The export of reindeer meat from Finland is one of the fastest growing segments of the Finnish  food industry.  



I also managed to include some reindeer skins. I touch them and think it looks like my dog, Olmo. We, Swedes have a tradition to using them in the garden in the winter and have this crazy habit of going out for picnic in the -  minus 30 to 40°  Today it is a fashion to use as a decoration  around the house.





Dear, what a beauty ! I love his eye, looking at the photographer.


Sofia Jannok, a Swedish singer in the Sami language. She is amazing with her  yoiking.

I can really recommend a holiday in Lapland. personally i have never been , but it should be on the next travel itinerary.
Gunn



No comments:

Post a Comment