Wednesday 12 January 2011

A gorgeous flower from Veneto



The region of Venice and perhaps more precise in a town called Treviso, is growing the best flower to eat. When winter arrives and there is nothing in the vegetable garden, this is a gift from heaven. It is very tasty with a slight bitter twist and while you have it for dinner in a risotto it is also purifying the blood and helping to sleep better. It is also perfect raw in a salad. I made this Risotto on the foggiest day and the atmosphere was just perfect.


My Risotto is done this way and we love it,


I start with slicing a *Red onion, while I am heating my cast iron wok . Add a table spoon of *Grape seed oil ( the lightest for health ) and let the onion get slightly transparent. I wash my *Organic Arborio Rice thoroughly and add it to the onion. A pinch of *Salt.  I always have a *Vegetable stock ready in the fridge ( we drink miso every day ) and use this for the risotto ( it would never occur to me to use of these little cube thing...) So now, let it cook for, I guess 20 minutes. It depends on if you like it "al dente" (a bit crunchy). Cut the (of course washed) *Radicchio into pieces and add in the last minute to the rice. I finished off with a cup of *White wine, *Black pepper and *Olive oil. Grate a well seasoned *Parmesan cheese on top. 
Try it and let me know what you think ?


I know my friend A ( pro photographer, who is reading my blog every morning, but never comment...) will think ..Gunn you need a new camera and better light. Well where are you when I need you ? I thought about you taking this photo and heard your voice.


Gunn

2 comments:

  1. Your photos are perfection, you are my new favorite in the business!
    I am making this risotto, what is a vok? Or is it a wok? What do you recomend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you D, Yes t should be with a W

    ReplyDelete