Saturday 5 February 2011

Vegetable garden



The vegetable garden will be fantastic " this year ".... that is something I promised myself last Fall when it was actually an unplanned mess. I love to dig into the dirt and forget about time and any other important things, I should be bothered with. I am an amateur gardener and am trying to learn from studying beautiful, inspirational coffee table books , thinking that I can do it as well. Probably not. 
Dreaming and planning are big issues and sometimes more important than the actual happening. Like planning for a big party or a wedding or giving a special surprise to somebody.
I already told you how much I admire Monty Don and his inspirational writing about his garden.  There is no thriller that can give the thrills as M. Don's garden books.
It is only early February and very little can be done in the garden. 
Planning the vegetables position can be done, ordering seeds as well. I like when the garden is orderly organized and everything is in perfect rows....my helping hand, is sticking the plant where he finds an empty spot. It can be charming , but it limits the possibility to make second planting in the season. 
A good seed company I normally get my seeds from is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in The US.
The weather in Italy is so fantastic that certain vegetables can be growing twice. Rucola for example grows so fast that we never have time to eat it.
Pumpkins can take over the whole plot, so I am planting them in another end of the garden. Basel is a struggle, they are mostly eaten by the slugs. I thought of trying some high pots this year instead of having them in the herbal garden.

Dreaming, planning and fantasising,
G

No comments:

Post a Comment