Wednesday 13 October 2010

Goat cheese

I am really lucky to have the best organic Goat cheese maker just up the hill from my house. L'albertana, located in the pre-alps at 800 meters altitude. The place has a fantastic view and waste green hills for the goats.  He is a supplier to Peck in Milano and is also shipping to quality restaurants around the world. This is where I get my special treat once in a while.

Talk about Happy goats .... and curious.

Goat cheese is sometimes called chevre and is a cheese made from the milk of goats. Organic cheese is made from happy goats...The cheese comes in different forms and is mostly soft. Nice and easily spread on a toast. The cheese is more common in hardy landscapes where it is not suitable for cows , Mediterranean countries and Middle East. The flavor is tangy and slightly sour. It is easier to digest and very suitable for children or the ones who do not like the cow milk, like me. The milk is high in vitamin A and potassium. L'albertina makes many wonderful varieties and forms. I love the one rolled in ash or in crushed grape seeds. Another top of the list is made with figs , aged well and has a similar feel of a Gorgonzola but tastier. 



I love to eat the cheese with fresh figs from my garden or on top of a good herbal pasta. I can also recommend a slice of a rustic sourdough bread , heated in the oven with a glass of Barolo.




Needs to be enjoyed,
Gunn

No comments:

Post a Comment