Saturday 19 March 2011

Funny looking roots


Jerusalem artichokes are growing in the garden and are at times wonderful to have. I say at times... because there are moments I curse them. When the green invasive plant is taking over the flower garden. The yellow flower is pretty, but sticks out as a sore thumb in my blu garden. 
It must be just the perfect soil for them in our garden. I think one root was planted many years ago and now we have trouble to keep them away.  Last year we set aside an area just for them,  a small Jerusalem Artichoke patch. 


In our house we eat them normally in two ways. 

Steamed with Anchovies sauce as a starter.
 I steam them quickly , pay attention not to loose the texture. If they absorb too much water they are not nutty in taste anymore.
Ingredients:   Piedmonte Hot Sauce / Bagna Cauda 
- Anchovies 240 gr, 4 pieces of garlic ( as you like),  3 dl milk, 3 dl olive oil. Clean and cut the garlic into smaller pieces. Heat all ingredients together and let it become a soft creamy sauce.  Serve it warm. 

Roasted in the oven.
 I like to roast them with a sprinkle of salt and olive oil in the oven. Cut them in 5 mm slices. Heat the oven before you bring in the plate. It should be done quickly , just as potatoes. I prefer them simple as they are, without herbs as they have a wonderful nutty taste on their own.


I just found a nice recipe on an Italian food blog " menuturistico.blogspot " Gnocchi with Anchovies sauce.  Love Gnocchi and can imagine them being interesting. If you can read Italian, the recipe is on the blog. If not just wait a few days and I will try it out and translate.



The flower is very decorative and is similar to a sunflower. If, you like Yellow....
Gunn

No comments:

Post a Comment